Sumatriptan is a drug with anti-migraine activity.
The active ingredient of sumatriptan tablets has a stimulating effect on 5-HT1 receptors, predominantly blood vessels of the membranes and substances of the brain. Due to this effect, a narrowing of locally dilated vessels occurs, thereby reducing the severity of pain during the development of a migraine attack. The drug has no direct analgesic effect, therefore, is not an analgesic.
The drug can effectively suppress migraine attacks already with a single use at a dose of up to 100 mg. Sumatriptan begins to act after a maximum of half an hour from the moment it is taken orally.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Serotonin 5-HT1 receptor agonist. Drug with anti-migraine activity.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
You can buy by prescription.
How much does sumatriptan in pharmacies? The average price is at 120 rubles.
Composition and release form
Sumatriptan dosage forms of release:
- film-coated tablets: biconvex, round, white (2, 6 or 10 pieces in blisters, in a carton box of 1-3 blisters);
- tablets: oblong, biconvex, almost white or white, on one side engraving "C", on the other (depending on the dose) - "33" (50 mg) or "34" (100 mg) (1-7 or 10 pieces in blisters, in a cardboard bundle 1-6, 8 or 10 blisters; 2, 10, 50 or 100 pieces in banks, in a cardboard bundle of 1 can).
The composition of the 1 film-coated tablet:
- active ingredient: sumatriptan - 50 or 100 mg (sumatriptan succinate - 70 or 140 mg);
- auxiliary components (50/100 mg): croscarmellose sodium - 2/4 mg; talc - 1.5 / 3 mg; magnesium stearate - 1.5 / 3 mg; lactose monohydrate - 125/250 mg; microcrystalline cellulose - 100/200 mg;
- shell (50/100 mg): Polysorbate-80 - 0.88 / 1.76 mg; titanium dioxide - 0.92 / 1.84 mg; hypromellose - 5.9 / 11.8 mg; macrogol 6000 - 2.3 / 4.6 mg.
Ingredients 1 tablet:
- active ingredient: sumatriptan - 50 or 100 mg (in the form of sumatriptan succinate - 69.98 or 139.96 mg);
- auxiliary components (50/100 mg): magnesium stearate - 2.38 / 4.76 mg; sodium bicarbonate - 10/20 mg; calcium phosphate - 53.44 / 106.88 mg; croscarmellose sodium - 11/22 mg; microcrystalline cellulose - 22.5 / 45 mg; Polysorbate 80 - 0.7 / 1.4 mg.
The active component of the drug is a specific selective 5-HT1-serotonin receptor agonist, which is concentrated mainly in the vessels of the brain. Some subtypes of serotonin receptors are affected. An example is 5-HT 2-7. The result is a narrowing of the vessels of the arterial bed. Their expansion is the cause of edema and the subsequent occurrence of migraine.
The effect appears half an hour after taking the pill inside. Pharmacokinetic characteristics of the drug:
- it is metabolized by oxidation with the participation of monoamine oxidase with the formation of metabolites - indole acetic analogue of sumatriptan and its glucuronide;
- excreted by the kidneys as metabolites;
- rapidly absorbed after ingestion, reaching 70% of the maximum concentration after 45 minutes;
- bioavailability is 14% due to incomplete absorption and presystemic metabolism;
- the maximum plasma concentration is 54 ng / ml;
- binding to blood proteins is 14-21%;
- the half-life is 2 hours;
- in patients with impaired liver function, the plasma content of the active component in the blood increases.
The drug reduces the release of sensory neuropeptides by suppressing the excessive activity of the trigeminal nerve receptors. Against this background, there is no significant effect on blood flow in the brain. The result of the intake is the elimination of nausea, photophobia and other symptoms of migraine. This requires a single dose of 100 mg.
Indications for use
The medicinal compound is recommended for use in migraine for relieving acute attacks of the disease and further stabilizing the condition.
If there are any abnormalities, it is strictly forbidden to take the drug Sumatriptan, analogues of this drug? I would like to especially note that on this account in the instructions there is a large amount of information. That is why before taking the drug with it you should definitely get acquainted.
So what are the contraindications presented by the drug? Consider the list right now:
- angina, including Prinzmetal stenocardia;
- pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- myocardial infarction, including the history of;
- arterial hypertension (uncontrolled type);
- arterial hypertension (controlled type);
- hypersensitivity of the patient to the elements of the drug;
- old age of the patient (over 65 years);
- basilar, ophthalmoplegic, or hemiplegic migraine;
- simultaneous use of the drug with medicines, which contain ergotamine, its various derivatives, as well as MAO inhibitors (it is prohibited to take the drug for up to 14 days after the abolition of the mentioned medicines);
- ischemic heart disease, as well as suspicion of it;
- adolescence and children (up to 18 years);
- occlusive peripheral artery disease;
- epilepsy, including any pathological conditions associated with low epileptic threshold;
- renal or hepatic failure;
- stroke or transient state of cerebrovascular accident, including a history of.
As mentioned above, the drug "Sumatriptan" during pregnancy is prohibited. But if the risk to the fetus is less than the benefit to the mother, then it is still assigned to women in position and nursing mothers. However, this should be done only by an experienced specialist (the drug is taken strictly under his supervision). By the way, it is not recommended to breastfeed the baby for a day after taking the mentioned pills.
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
Sumatriptan is contraindicated for use during pregnancy. It is not recommended to continue breastfeeding for 24 hours after using the drug.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use Sumatriptan is prescribed by mouth, the tablet should be swallowed whole with water. Treatment should begin as early as possible in the event of a migraine attack. The recommended dose is 50 mg, if necessary - 100 mg.
- If the symptoms of migraine do not disappear and do not decrease after taking the first dose, then the drug is not used again to relieve the same attack.
For relief of subsequent attacks (with the reduction or disappearance of symptoms, and then resumption), you can take a second dose over the next 24 hours, provided that the interval between intake is at least 2 hours.
The maximum daily dose is 300 mg.
Against the background of the use of Sumatriptan tablets, the development of negative pathological reactions from various organs and systems is possible:
- Sense organs - double vision (diplopia), reduced visual acuity, the appearance of "flies" before the eyes.
- Respiratory system - unexpressed irritation of the mucous membrane of the nasal cavity, accompanied by burning sensation, respiratory failure (dyspnea), the development of nasal bleeding.
- Cardiovascular system - transient increase in systemic arterial pressure (arterial hypertension), which usually returns to normal after discontinuation of the medication, "hot flashes" with a sensation of heat in the face, a heart rhythm disorder (arrhythmia), increased heart rate (tachycardia).
- Nervous system - drowsiness, dizziness, impaired sensitivity of the skin, characterized mainly by its decrease (paresthesia), sensations of cold or heat in the skin, with different localization, general weakness, fatigue, rarely develop epileptic seizures accompanied by seizures.
- Musculoskeletal system - the sudden appearance of a feeling of heaviness or squeezing in any part of the body, it is often localized in the chest, has a transient nature.
- The digestive system is nausea, accompanied by vomiting, abnormal levels of liver enzymes in the blood, indicating increased stress on the organ with damage to its cells, abdominal discomfort, ischemic colitis (inflammation of the large intestine that develops due to circulatory disorders in its walls).
- Allergic reactions - a rash on the skin, itching, severe systemic reactions of the type of anaphylactic shock (critical reduction in the level of systemic arterial pressure with multiple organ failure).
When negative pathological reactions appear on the background of the use of this drug, they are usually canceled or the dosage is corrected.
The development of any other adverse reactions, other than those indicated above, when taking a dose of 400 mg is not observed.
In case of overdose for at least 10 hours, the patient’s condition should be monitored, if necessary, maintenance treatment is carried out. There is no information on the effect of peritoneal dialysis / hemodialysis on the plasma concentration of sumatriptan.
Do not use for the prevention of migraine attacks.
During the period of treatment, care must be taken when driving vehicles and engaging in other potentially hazardous activities that require increased concentration and psychomotor speed.
Patients at risk from the cardiovascular system do not begin therapy without prior examination (women in menopausal women, men over 40, people with risk factors for developing coronary artery disease). Before the appointment of sumatriptan to patients with newly diagnosed or atypical migraine, other potentially dangerous neurological diseases should be excluded. After taking sumatriptan, pain and chest tightness may occur. The pain can be intense and radiating to the neck. If there is reason to believe that these symptoms are a manifestation of coronary artery disease, it is necessary to conduct an appropriate examination.
Interaction with other drugs
Sumatriptan did not interact with propranolol, flunirizin, pizothiphene and ethanol.
With the simultaneous introduction of ergotamine and ergotamine-containing drugs, prolonged vasospasm is possible.
An interaction between sumatriptan and MAO inhibitors is possible (a decrease in the intensity of metabolism of sumatriptan, an increase in its concentration).
With the simultaneous use of sumatriptan and drugs from the group of selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, the development of weakness, hyperreflexia and impaired coordination of movements is possible.
We offer you to read the reviews of people who used the drug Sumatriptan:
- Helena. Yes, it helps, but very strong side effects. Lack of concentration, drowsiness such that I can not get out of bed all day. After their admission to work you can not go, it makes no sense. I will look for another way out, I feel bad from them and the pain began to return the next day. Be healthy!
- Marina. By prescription I buy pills with a dosage of 50 mg. It helps well, the main thing - quickly. Side effects sometimes occur, but compared to migraine pain they do not compare. The price for 2 tablets is low - about 130 rubles, but sometimes I need much more, so it turns out a bit more expensive. In general, I recommend this medicine.
- Tamara. Only this drug helps. And the fact that it was made prescription simply kills. I wish the authors of this order to suffer from migraines. If there is an attack and there is no pill, then you are out of order for two or three days. And also in the clinic to be dragged behind the recipe is just beyond good and evil. Where can one complain about these “lawmakers”?
Sumatriptan migraine tablets have several analogues. They are divided into 2 categories. The first is similar to this drug in composition, and the second - on the principle of action. Among the popular analogues stand out:
- Sumatriptan-Teva. Available only in a dosage of 50 mg. The rest of the drug is practically no difference.
- Rapimed. Based on the same substance. The difference of this drug is that the peak concentration of the drug falls on a time after 2-2.5 hours after administration. The drug is eliminated from the body longer - 2.5 hours.
- Amigrenin. Used for migraine with or without aura. Instructions for use are similar. With care, this tool is used for hypertension and epilepsy.
- Suma migren Based on the same active component, it shows a similar principle of action, therefore it is a complete analogue of this drug.
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
Store in a dry, protected from light, out of reach of children at a temperature of from 15 0 С to 25 0 С.
Shelf life - 2 years.