Sulfadimethoxine is a chemical analogue of para-aminobenzoic acid - a substance vital to bacteria and some of the simplest (Toxoplasma) to synthesize its DNA.
Sulfadimethoxine is absorbed by bacteria, violates the formation of nucleic acids, as a result, the pathogen cell can not multiply and function normally.
The drug is active against gram-positive and gram-negative microorganisms: streptococci, staphylococci, Proteus, Escherichia coli, Klebsiella, Shigella and Salmonella, Vibrio cholerae, gonococcus, Toxoplasma, the causative agent of trachoma.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Antibacterial agent, sulfonamide derivative.
Terms of sale from pharmacies
You can buy by prescription.
How much does Sulfadimethoxin cost in pharmacies? The average price is at 35 rubles.
Composition and release form
Dosage form of Sulfadimetoksina - tablets: white or white with a cream tinge, flat-cylindrical form, with a risk and a facet (in blisters or 10 cell packs, 10 pcs., In a cardboard bundle 1 or 2 packs; in plastic jars, 10 pcs. In carton pack of 1 can; in a plastic case 15 pcs. in dark glass cans of 20 pcs., in a carton pack of 1 can.
Ingredients 1 tablet:
- active ingredient: sulfadimethoxin - 0.2 or 0.5 g;
- auxiliary components (0.2 / 0.5 g of active ingredient): aerosil (colloidal silicon dioxide) - 0.000 44 / 0.001 1 g; potato starch varieties "Extra" - 0,016 92 / 0,042 3 g; calcium stearate - 0,002 2 / 0,005 5 g; medical gelatin - 0.000 44 / 0.001 1 g.
The drug is effective against bacterial infections. Its mechanism of action is the inhibition of the enzyme glucose-6-dehydrogenase, which is responsible for the synthesis of dihydrofolic acid (folic acid species). It is necessary for bacteria to produce purines and pyrimidines, which are part of the cell’s DNA. The active substance of the drug stops reproduction, and does not kill the encapsulated bacteria that are dormant in the body, does not cause resistance.
The active component is an analogue of paraaminobenzoic acid, disrupts the metabolism of bacteria and the production of phosphatase enzymes. Sulfadimethoxine inhibits the reproduction of gram-positive staphylococci, streptococci, gram-negative Escherichia coli, Friedlander sticks, Klebsiella, pneumococci, dysentery pathogens and other shigelleic infections. The drug inhibits the growth of chlamydia, has little effect on Proteus.
The drug is found in the blood half an hour after administration, reaches a maximum concentration after 8-12 hours, poorly penetrates the blood-brain barrier, therefore ineffective against meningitis (caused by meningococcus) and inflammatory processes of the brain. The active substance of the composition soon after absorption in the gastrointestinal tract is found in the articular and peritoneal fluid, pleural effusion, middle ear exudate. The metabolism of the component occurs in the liver, it is excreted in the urine and bile.
Indications for use
What helps? Sulfadimethoxine is used to treat infectious and inflammatory diseases (pathogens of which are microorganisms sensitive to sulfadimethoxine), such as:
- acute respiratory diseases
- inflammatory diseases of the urinary and biliary tract,
- drug-resistant forms of malaria (in combination with antimalarials),
- inflammatory lesions of the central nervous system, wound infections.
According to the instructions, Sulfadimethoxine is contraindicated in the following cases:
- pregnancy and lactation (the appointment of Sulfadimethoksina possible only in cases of excess of the expected benefit over the possible harm);
- age up to 3 months;
- thyroid disease;
- oppression of bone marrow hematopoiesis;
- congenital deficiency of glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase;
- liver / kidney failure;
- chronic heart failure;
- individual intolerance to the components of the drug.
Caution in applying Sulfadimetoksina (relative contraindications) is required in the presence of the following diseases / conditions:
- anemia with a reduced color index;
- functional disorders of the liver / kidneys;
- folic acid deficiency.
Appointment during pregnancy and lactation
Sulfadimethoxine is extremely undesirable to use during pregnancy and during breastfeeding, because it penetrates the placenta and into breast milk well, and can cause dyspepsia, liver and kidney problems, nuclear jaundice or hemolytic anemia in a child.
Dosage and method of use
As indicated in the instructions for use, before taking it is necessary to check the sensitivity of pathogenic microorganisms to this medicine. Applying sulfadimethoxine in the absence of sensitivity does not make sense, since the harm caused by the active substance to the body exceeds the benefit of the fight against pathogenic bacteria.
- Adults on the first day appoint a dose of 1000 mg, then - 500 mg per day. In the case of a severe infection, it is possible to increase the starting dose up to 2 mg, and daily up to 1 mg. Take the medicine once a day, after meals. Duration of treatment is 7-10 days.
- Children are prescribed a dose of 25 mg / kg of body weight on the first day, and 12.5 mg / kg per day on subsequent days.
- Receiving funds must necessarily take another 2-3 days after reducing the body temperature. During the use of the medication it is necessary to limit the patient’s exposure to the sun, or its exposure to ultraviolet radiation.
It is necessary to strictly observe the time interval for taking pills. Do not take a double dose if the drug was not taken on time. In this case, you should drink it as quickly as possible, and do not shift the dose too close to the next in order to avoid overdose.
In the veterinary small animals used children's dosage of the drug.
The use of Sulfadimethoxine can cause the following side effects:
- Central nervous system: possible headache.
- Hematopoietic system: rarely - agranulocytosis, leukopenia.
- Digestive system: cholestatic hepatitis, nausea, dyspeptic symptoms, vomiting.
- Allergic manifestations: drug fever, skin rashes
The state of oversaturation of the body with the drug is clinically manifested in intense thirst, severe dry mouth, a small amount of rich yellow-brown urine, pain in the right hypochondrium (liver projection) and lower back (renal localization). Biochemical analysis will reveal a significant increase in enzymes such as AST, ALT and acid phosphatase.
Therapeutic measures for overdose:
- Reflexogenic initiation of vomiting.
- Gastric lavage or high cleansing enema.
- Astringent and absorbent drugs orally.
- Saline laxatives.
- Forced diuresis, if the drug had completely absorbed from the gastrointestinal tract.
It is used externally as part of combined preparations.
During treatment, it is recommended to drink plenty of alkaline drinks, monitor blood and urine parameters.
Interaction with other drugs
Sulfadimethoxin reduces the effectiveness of bactericidal antibiotics that act only on fissile microorganisms (including penicillins, cephalosporins).
We offer you to read the reviews of people who used the drug Sulfadimethoxin:
- Lily Excellent drug, quickly puts on its feet. We forgot about him, but in vain. The husband only saved them from any colds and inflammations. And recently, my 75-year-old mother was cured of otitis media in 3 days with sulfadimethoxin. I advise everyone.
- Olga I have chronic bronchitis with an asthmatic component. For a very long time, doctors did not prescribe antibiotics, but sulfadimethoxine + aminophylline = the effect is very good and inexpensive. But very individual, especially with heart failure.
- Sasha. Sulfadimetoksin tablets, a couple of years ago I helped a lot during the illness of the flu or a cold. I drank these pills all the time, as I began to get sick, three tablets at a time on the first day, the next day 2 tablets and 3 days 1 tablet, but one day was enough for me to feel good. Now, at least I will drink a pack of these tablets and no result. Maybe this is my body used to them, or pharmacists began to make low-quality medicine.
Reviews of doctors about the drug confirm the effectiveness of the drug in the fight against coccal infection of internal organs and skin, if fully comply with the conservative course of treatment. Otherwise, pathogenic microorganisms develop resistance to a whole group of drugs, since all sulfonamides have a typical chemical structure.
Structural analogues of the active substance drug Sulfadimethoksin not.
Similar drugs in action:
- Sulfamonomethoxin, Sulfamethoxypyrazine (Sulfalen), Sulfadiazine (Sulfazin), Sulfamethoxazole.
Before buying an analogue, consult your doctor.
Shelf life and storage conditions
The drug should be stored away from light sources, in a dark place. It is also recommended to hide tablets in places inaccessible to children. The medicine can be stored for up to 5 years. Do not use the drug after this period. Date of manufacture must be viewed on the packaging of the drug.