Prozestzhel Gel is based on progesterone. It is a hormone that is able to block estrogen receptors.
The gel form involves only local application. It is applied to the mammary gland. At the same time, a locally high concentration of progesterone is created in the application area.
It practically does not penetrate into the general bloodstream, which makes it possible to avoid serious adverse events in the form of an increase in the tendency to thrombosis, fluid retention, and an increase in the greasiness of the skin.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Progestin for external use in mastodynia.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much does Prozhestinel in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 920 rubles.
Release form and composition
Available drug only in the form of a gel. With cutaneous application of the gel, a high concentration of progesterone is created only in the tissues of the mammary gland itself, and the hormone has no systemic action, and does not cause as a result undesirable side effects.
- The main active ingredient of the drug is progesterone. Its content in a single dose is 25 mg (800 mg of progesterone in a tube).
Also included in the gel are auxiliary components, which include:
- Carbomer 980.
- Purified water.
The gel is contained in an aluminum tube in the amount of 80 g. The cardboard pack contains one tube, a special dispenser applicator and instructions for using the preparation.
The drug with an active progestin effect is intended for application to the skin of the mammary glands. After treatment of problem areas, progesterone penetrates the tissues, inhibits the sensitivity of estrogen receptors, which has a positive effect on the state of the breast. After application in the mammary glands increases the concentration of the female hormone - progesterone.
The effects of the main substance causes positive changes in the tissues of the mammary glands:
- activation of fluid intake;
- transformation of estradiol into a less active type of estrogen - estrone;
- blocking the effects of prolactin receptors;
- reduced milk duct compression;
- reduced lactopoiesis;
- a sharp decrease in the proliferative effect of estrogen on the milk ducts, glandular breast tissue;
- reduction of negative manifestations in patients with premenstrual syndrome;
- disappearance of puffiness and swelling of the breast before monthly bleeding and in other phases of the cycle (with the progression of fibrocystic mastosis).
The gel is absorbed only 10% of the applied dose. It does not penetrate the systemic circulation, and therefore does not pass the metabolism in the liver. Therefore, the side effects of Progestogel gel can appear only in the form of local reactions. Studies have shown that with cutaneous application after one hour there is a maximum absorption of progesterone. The level of hormone in the blood at the same time remains unchanged. And the concentration in the tissues of the breast increases 10 times.
Indications for use
The use of Progestogel gel is indicated for the pathology of the mammary glands, accompanied by increased proliferation of their tissues - diffuse fibrocystic mastopathy, mastodynia.
Prozhestozhel application is contraindicated in:
- Tumors (tumor-like formations) of the mammary glands of unknown etiology;
- Nodular forms of fibrocystic mastopathy;
- Breast and genital cancer monotherapy;
- Individual hypersensitivity to the drug components.
Prozestzhel is not prescribed to women in 2-3 trimesters of pregnancy. The question of the possibility of using the tool by nursing women is decided individually by the doctor on the basis of the indications after evaluating the risk-benefit ratio for the health of the mother and the child.
The drug should be used with caution in patients with:
- Abortion in progress;
- Ectopic pregnancy;
- Acute phlebitis or thromboembolic diseases;
- Inclination to thrombosis;
- Bronchial asthma;
- Hepatic renal failure;
- Bleeding of unknown etiology from the vagina;
- Diabetes mellitus;
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Due to the lack of experience and clinical data, which would confirm the safety of Prozhozhestlya during pregnancy and lactation, its appointment is allowed in the case when the effect of its use is higher than the potential threat to the fetus and newborn.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicate that 1 application of Progestogel gel (2.5 g of gel; contains 0.025 g of progesterone) should be applied to the skin of the mammary glands with a dosing applicator until fully absorbed 1-2 times / day every day or during the 2nd phase (from the 16th on the 25th day) of the menstrual cycle. The course of treatment is up to 3 cycles.
During the course of therapy, care must be taken that the sun's rays do not fall on the treatment area: visiting the beach and tanning beds is prohibited. In the summer, a woman should wear light clothing covering the décolleté, shoulders, and underarms to prevent exposure to the sun.
During treatment, the breast glands cannot be massaged. Rub in the painful areas of the gel Prozhestozhel also do not need: easy movement, without pressure.
Repeated treatment can only be prescribed after consulting a doctor.
Possible adverse reactions:
- Allergic reactions: headache, swelling of the neck and lips, erythema at the site of application of the gel, nausea, fever.
- Urogenital system: very rarely - decreased libido, breast tenderness, metrorrhagia, flushing of blood.
Cases of overdose by this tool are unlikely due to its low systemic absorption.
After applying the cream should avoid direct sunlight.
The drug should be applied to the skin of the breast with an applicator-dispenser, without rubbing and massaging the mammary glands.
Prozestzhel can be used for mastodynia associated with oral contraceptives, puberty, premenopausal, premenstrual tension syndrome.
The effect of the drug may be enhanced when used simultaneously with combined hormonal contraceptives.
We picked up some reviews of women using Progestogel gel:
- Anna. Six months ago, a cyst was found in my right breast and I was diagnosed with fibrocystic breast disease. I immediately wanted a stronger product, but I was afraid, in addition to mastopathy, to get stomach problems. The doctor said it would be enough Prozheszhelya. I was assigned a three-month course, after him control ultrasound. On the ultrasound, the cyst decreased almost twice, but still remained. She continued to take another 3 months. The result is that everything is clean. Not to say that it is very easy to use, in the beginning I suffered from this line. But the main result was the one that wanted.
- Nastya. The doctor prescribed Prozheszhel for my treatment of fibrocystic mastopathy. About the application with the above do not agree! It is applied very easily with a spatula that comes with the gel. It is absorbed instantly ... while I smear the second breast - the first one is already drying up! I do not see the result yet, because I use only a week, but I hope for the best.
- Olya Prozestzhel was prescribed to me by a gynecologist and an oncologist. We diagnosed “mastopathy”. And this gel was used by my mother. She also helped. My chest hurt very much, even the bra was very disturbing. Began to smear and become much easier. I did not notice the smell. It is applied simply (there is a spatula, but I smeared it with just a hand). The only "but" is the cost. When you use the drug for more than one month, the amount is quite large. But if it helps, you have to take it. Pain gone, no side effects found.
In the treatment of mastodynia, the elimination of manifestations of diffuse mastopathy (fibrocystic form), doctors prescribe other drugs containing progesterone. Pharmacies receive several types of drugs, in which the ATH code and the active ingredient coincide with Prozestzhel gel. Analogs have different dosage forms: injection, capsules, gel, vaginal tablets. It is important to consider the limitations for the application, including the form of mastopathy.
Effective analogues of Prozestzhel gel:
- Crinon vaginal gel.
- Progestin KR gel.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Keep out of reach of children at temperature up to 25 ° C.
Shelf life - 3 years.