Plantex is a drug often recommended by pediatricians for the timely prevention or resolution of colic problems in babies.
This problem occurs in most babies, because soon after the birth, the digestive system “turns on” and adapts it to the baby’s diet.
The active ingredients of the drug stimulate the production of digestive enzymes in the stomach and small intestine and increase intestinal motility (wavelike movements of the walls, which are aimed at pushing the contents of the intestine into its lower parts). Due to this, the spasm of the hollow structures of the digestive tract is reduced (the tone of smooth muscles decreases) and the expression of the process of gas formation in the intestine is reduced.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Phytopreparation that stimulates digestion and reduces flatulence in the intestines.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much does Plantex cost in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 380 rubles.
Release form and composition
Plantex for newborns is produced in the form of granules, from which parents can easily prepare a solution (tea). Each bag contains 1 dose of the substance (5 grams), so that as necessary, you can always prepare a fresh drink for the child.
The preparation as the main active ingredients contains vegetable components, their content in 1 sachet (5 grams) of granules is:
- Dry water extract of fennel fruit - 250 mg.
- Fennel essential oil - 2.4 mg.
Also in the composition of the granules include auxiliary components, which include anhydrous dextrose, acacia gum, lactose. Plantex granules are in single-use sachets in the amount of 5 g. A carton pack contains 10 sachets of granules and an annotation to the preparation.
This dosage form has its advantages and disadvantages. If the baby drinks well from a bottle, then it will not be difficult for him to take the required amount of tea. Parents of those babies who do not recognize bottles and nipples will have difficulty to give the child the right amount of this liquid.
Plantex for newborns is a herbal tea that consists of natural ingredients - fennel seeds, essential oils and lactose. The composition does not contain substances potentially hazardous to babies, so the use can be started already in the first month of life.
The drug is produced in the form of tea in granules, for the preparation of which you just need to fill the granules with water at room temperature and mix well. This allows you to quickly cope with unexpected spasms that cause the child pain. In a ready-to-eat form, it is a sweet drink with a pleasant taste for children, so there should be no particular problems with the child’s refusal of the drug.
The main active ingredient of tea is fennel, which is known for its ability to positively influence the digestive system. It is a stimulator of a more active production of gastric juice, thanks to which food is digested faster and better, and the seeds help to more easily and painlessly remove the gases formed during digestion.
Indications for use
What helps? Plantex is used as a preventive and therapeutic agent in children from 2 weeks of age and older:
- To eliminate spastic pains in the intestines with mild digestive disorders.
- When switching from breastfeeding to other foods.
Plantex use is contraindicated in:
- Lactase deficiency;
- Hypersensitivity to the components of the drug (active and auxiliary);
- Syndrome of impaired glucose / galactose absorption;
Use in childhood
It is used in children from 2 weeks of age and older. For infants use only freshly prepared solution.
Pregnancy and lactation
Use during pregnancy and during breastfeeding is not recommended (due to the lack of clinical data).
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicate that the prepared solution is taken orally after a meal or in between meals.
Recommended daily dosing:
- Newborns and children up to 1 year: 1-2 sachets;
- Children from 1 to 4 years: 2-3 bags.
The daily dose is divided into 2-3 doses.
Children and newborns Plantex pour in a bottle or cup. Pellets pour 100 ml of boiled warm water and mix thoroughly so that all the granules are dissolved.
The use of the drug Plantex can cause side effects in the form of allergic reactions.
Data overdose available.
When preparing the solution should not add sweeteners.
For infants, use only freshly prepared solution.
There is no data on the undesirable interaction of the drug Plantex with other drugs.
We picked up some reviews of parents who used the drug Plantex for newborns:
- Yana Still, I hold the opinion that the body of the child is individual. For example, Plantex helped us a lot, though at first. Since addiction can be addictive to any medication, after about three weeks my daughter didn’t care what happened with Plantex, without that, the sleepless nights continued. We also tried Bebinos, but it stopped acting even sooner. In my opinion, the only way is alternation. I understand perfectly well that the child and the experiment concepts are generally incompatible, but still what to do. Regarding the taste, my opinion is that the taste of fennel is better than some chemical preparations and alcohol.
- Natalia. The drug is certainly not bad, except that in my case the child had a rash after use. I think this is most likely due to individual intolerance. Therefore, I tried another drug, glycelax. The composition is good, act smoothly and at the same time no allergic reactions. the child got better, and after a few days we completely solved the problems of constipation.
- Julia. We returned home from the maternity hospital, sat with relatives, after which my husband went to take them home, and then my first nightmare began. The child woke up and began to shout incessantly, nothing helped, neither the titus, nor the nipple, nor the motion sickness. And since I got milk on the same day in the morning, I assumed that it was colic, I heard that in these cases dill water is used, and as soon as my husband came home, I sent him to the pharmacy just for her, and he brought “Plantex "(Time was later, and the state pharmacies were closed). The drug, of course, helped, but still not for the money! This is the same dill water, but in a different form! Conclusion: people, do not overpay!
Most young parents speak positively of Plantex. The pronounced, rapid effect ensured the popularity of the drug based on natural ingredients.
Parents and pediatricians say: tea from bloating, painful colic does not cause side effects, copes with the task. Another plus is the absence of unpleasant taste and smell: the kids are willing to drink the drug. Minus - the presence of lactose: many babies suffer from intolerance to this component.
There are two main groups of drugs to combat diseases and problems of the gastrointestinal tract in infants. The first are drugs with the use of simethicone - a substance that helps to fight flatulence.
These are drugs such as:
- Sab Simplex;
The second group is based on natural ingredients. These include:
- Dill water;
- Plantex Sandoz.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Plantex shelf life if stored in a dry place at temperatures up to 25 ° C is 2 years.