Nystatin is a polyene antibiotic that is active against pathogenic fungi.
It is used for the treatment and prevention of diseases caused by microorganisms against which the drug is effective. It is produced in the form of tablets for oral use, as well as candles for vaginal and rectal administration.
Usually well tolerated by the body, except in cases of intolerance to the drug.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a prescription.
How much do nystatin candles cost in pharmacies? The average price is at the level of 55 rubles.
Release form and composition
Vaginal suppositories, tablets, ointment.
- In 1 suppositories nystatin 250 000 IU or 500 000 IU.
- In 1 g of ointment - 100 000 IU.
- In 1 tablet -500 000 IU.
Nystatin refers to antifungal antibiotics. It begins to take at the first symptoms of thrush. The drug is effective against fungi of the genus Candida spp and aspergillus. The active substance is associated with sterols in the cell membrane of fungi, causing violations of its permeability and the destruction of the main components of the cell.
When applied topically, the antibiotic is practically not absorbed. After ingestion means poorly soluble gastrointestinal tract.
Indications for use
Nystatin comes in the form of candles. In this case, the drug is used rectally and vaginally.
- Thrush in women.
- Intestinal candidiasis.
Prescribe nystatin for the prevention and treatment of diseases caused by yeast-like fungi of the genus Candida
The drug has contraindications:
- Functional disorders of the liver;
- Peptic ulcer and duodenal ulcer;
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
In recent years, nystatin is rarely assigned to women during pregnancy. This drug, according to the instructions, is contraindicated for use in pregnant women and, due to the presence of a wide range of other antifungal agents, can be successfully replaced by safer antifungal drugs (for example, Pimafucine, Polygynax, Difluzole, etc.).
In rare cases, nystatin tablets or in vaginal suppositories are prescribed for pregnant women, but in these forced cases, their dosage is reduced.
The only safe method of treatment with nystatin during pregnancy can only be considered the use of an ointment based on this drug. When applied topically for the treatment of candidiasis of the mucous membranes or skin, it is not absorbed into the blood and can not harm the unborn child.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicate that Nystatin should be inserted into the vagina after hygiene procedures.
Single dose - 1 suppository, the frequency of use - 2 times a day (in the morning and evening). Course duration - 10-14 days.
Suppositories Nystatin is injected deep into the rectum.
- Single dose - 1 suppository, the frequency of use - 2 times a day (in the morning and evening). Course duration - 10-14 days.
If necessary, may conduct repeated treatment courses.
Very rarely: local reactions (itching, burning).
Other: possible risk of spreading resistant forms of fungi. If thrush symptoms persist, consult a doctor.
Since Nystatin suppositories act locally and drug absorption into the systemic circulation is minimal, the likelihood of an overdose is almost absent even with prolonged use of suppositories.
In case of accidental use of the suppository inside the patient, it is necessary to induce vomiting and let activated carbon or one of the enterosorbents be taken.
With the development of adverse reactions should reduce the dose or cancel the drug.
During menstruation, you should not interrupt vaginal suppository treatment. For fungal diseases of the vagina, simultaneous treatment of the sexual partner is recommended. During treatment, sexual intercourse should be avoided.
With the simultaneous use of nystatin and clotrimazole, the activity of the latter is reduced.
We picked up some reviews of people using nystatin candles:
- Eugenia. In the second year of the institute, I was faced with such a problem as a thrush. The drugs prescribed by the doctor were very expensive, so I asked for nystatin candles in a pharmacy. Unpleasant discharge with itching passed on the 4th day of treatment. I did not notice any side effects, therefore I consider this drug ideal for treating thrush.
- Rita. Nystatin more than once helped me get rid of thrush. They are candles are very inexpensive for me a penny. I bought them at the pharmacy and started the course. The next day, all the symptoms of thrush are gone! Now Nystatin is a frequenter of a resident of my first-aid kit, six months have passed and I do not know what a thrush is ... Therefore, I recommend you girls these candles! They do not harm you and cost a penny.
- Valentine. Once my husband gave me a surprise and we went to the spa and all that. There, of course, was a bath and a pool. We went into the bath without any danger, but in the morning there was a real nightmare: my feet (feet), toenails were scratching ... I went to the hospital, and there they told me that they had caught a fungus. Nystatin prescribed to me. After a couple of weeks, the fungus was completely gone. Went to the pool ... (
The following drugs are similar in their therapeutic effect with nystatin suppositories:
- Pimafucin vaginal suppositories;
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Storage temperature for tablets not higher than 25 ° C, for candles and ointments not higher than 50.
- Expiration date: tablets and candles 2 years.
- Ointment - 3 years.