Livarol is an antifungal drug that is designed to treat vulvovaginal candidiasis (thrush).
The main component of the drug is ketoconazole, which is a derivative of the organic compound imidazole. Substance possesses anti-fungal, fungicidal and fungistatic properties. Its mechanism of action is to inhibit the formation of ergosterol and other vital compounds for the organism of the pathogen.
The lack of useful substances disrupts the structure and permeability of cell walls. Fungi cease to form threads and colonies, and eventually die.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Antifungal drug for local use.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released without a doctor's prescription.
How much are candles Livarol? The average price in pharmacies is at the level of 500 rubles.
Release form and composition
- The active substance is ketoconazole, an imidazole dioxolane derivative.
Excipients: butyloxyanisole, polyethylene oxide 1500, polyethylene oxide 400.
The active substance of the drug - ketoconazole - is an antimycotic from the group of imidazoldioxolan. It has a fungistatic and fungicidal action, which is expressed in the suppression of ergosterol biosynthesis. This causes a change in the lipid composition in the membranes of fungi.
The drug is active against dermatophytes (Microsporum spp., Epidermophyton floccosum, Trichophyton spp.), Yeast (Pityrosporum spp., Candida spp.), Streptococci, staphylococci and some other microorganisms.
With intravaginal administration, systemic absorption of ketoconazole is negligible.
Indications for use
Livarol is prescribed for women with acute and chronic vaginal candidiasis (see how to treat thrush). It can also be prescribed for prophylaxis after long courses of antibiotic therapy. Perhaps the appointment of Livarola during pregnancy.
The first symptoms of vaginal candidiasis are itching, burning inside the vagina and white cheesy or liquid discharge.
Before using vaginal candles, read their contraindications to avoid disruption of the body:
- first trimester of pregnancy;
- Hypersensitivity to the active substance, or to other components of the product.
In addition to the strict restrictions on the use of suppositories, isolated states that can be treated with Livarol solely under the supervision of a physician, with caution. These include:
- second and third trimester of pregnancy;
- breastfeeding period;
- children's age up to 12 years.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
The drug is contraindicated in the first trimester of pregnancy.
The use of Livarola during pregnancy in the II and III trimesters, as well as during lactation is possible after evaluating the balance of benefits and risks.
Dosage and method of use
The instructions for use indicate that before using the drug vaginal suppositories should be released from the contour packaging.
- For the treatment of thrush candles Livarol must be inserted into the vagina once a day, at night, preferably before bedtime.
- The duration of treatment from 3 to 5 days. Chronic recurrent thrush treat longer - about 10 days.
Pregnant and lactating women do not reduce the dosage and do not reduce the duration of the course.
The manufacturer of the drug warns that the treatment can not be independently interrupted even with the disappearance of the symptoms of fungal infection. Untreated disease is dangerous transition to a chronic stage with relapse, which is difficult to cure.
To prevent re-infection, requires the simultaneous treatment of candidiasis ointment or cream from the sexual partner.
During therapy may develop the following side effects:
- Allergic reactions: urticaria, skin rash;
- Local reactions: itching of the vagina, irritation and hyperemia of the mucous membrane of the vagina.
Information about exceeding the dosage of candles is missing.
In the process of treatment with candles Livarol, an allergic reaction may occur to the sexual partner after sexual contact. These include hyperemia of the penis, itching and other discomfort.
It is not recommended to use condoms or diaphragms, because the drug suppresses their contraceptive effect. Therefore, at the time of treatment, if necessary, doctors offer to stop sex.
There is no evidence of the negative consequences of using Livarol at the same time as other medications. Given that the therapeutic substance of the drug ketoconazole has an extremely low resorption ability, then any undesirable reactions are unlikely.
It was noticed only that when combining a medical preparation with anti-TB antibiotics Rifampicin and Isoniazd the concentration of the main substance Livarol decreases.
The active ingredient ketoconazole has the ability to increase the plasma levels of drugs such as cyclosporine, indirect anticoagulants and methylprednisolone. Therefore, if necessary, the use of these drugs and Livarol should consult a doctor as to prevent undesirable consequences and reduce the therapeutic effect.
We picked up some reviews of women who used Livarol candles:
- Albina. I am very pleased with these candles. Livarol really saved me from thrush when I’ve already tried everything. I started with flukostat, then I bought pimafutsin, then one candle, which was supposed to help in one day ... I wanted to quickly, but it turned out that I was treating for half a month. It was necessary to immediately buy livarol, and not be afraid of the 10-day course. It was worth it.
- Nadia. Thrush was for both - me and my partner. According to reviews, she found the drug Livarol, and after consulting with a doctor, she began a course of 10 days. Symptoms of candidiasis disappeared after 3 days, but continued until the end. After re-examination, the gynecologist reported that the microflora is in order. We refrained from sex for the period of treatment, and our partner was treated with Clotrimazole ointment.
- Marina. Very good tool. Prescribed doctor. She completed the course (the doctor also advised taking it for 3 months, 5 days a month). It helped after the first 5 days of applications. Excellent candles and the price they have at least adequate. Therefore, I strongly advise all those who are faced with such a problem. But before applying it is still advisable to consult a doctor.
There are analogues of Livarol, which contain the same active substance, but the cost of which is slightly lower (sometimes higher). These drugs include:
- Primafungin - 3 candles that can be used even during pregnancy.
- Clotrimazole - means put on the night of one candle. The course of treatment up to one week.
- Ginesol - a course of treatment for about 5 days. Can not be used by people with liver disease and herpes.
- Lomeksin - 3 suppositories that can not be used during pregnancy and menstruation. The effect is achieved in two days.
- McMiror - pills that are used during pregnancy. High efficiency, but they are expensive.
- Nystatin is a great cheap antifungal drug. True, sometimes it leads to dysbacteriosis. It is usually prescribed for the chronic course of the disease.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
Store in a dark, dry place inaccessible to children at temperature up to 25 ° C.
Shelf life - 2 years.