Diacarb refers to drugs from the group of diuretics.
It helps to reduce the concentration of potassium and sodium ions in the blood plasma, which leads to their removal by the kidneys. Due to changes in osmotic pressure, the loss of fluid with urine increases, which helps to reduce edema.
On this page you will find all the information about Diacarb: full instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Diacarb. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Clinical and pharmacological group
Diuretic. Carboanhydrase inhibitor.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much does diacarb cost? The average price in pharmacies is 250 rubles.
Release form and composition
Diacarb is available in tablet form for oral use. The tablets are white, round, convex on both sides.
- The medicine contains acetazolamide as an active substance.
- Additional components: potato starch, sodium starch glycolate, talc.
The drug is available in blisters of 10 pieces of 3 blisters in a carton with the attached detailed description.
A diuretic drug whose therapeutic effect is associated with the removal of certain metal ions necessary for the processes of fluid retention in the body, resulting in increased removal of potassium ions, sodium and bicarbonates. In addition, taking the drug leads to an increase in the value of acid-base balance of urine and a decrease in the amount of ammonia removed.
Diakarba suction occurs quickly enough. The dose of medication necessary to achieve a therapeutic effect continues to be maintained in the body for 6-12 hours. Removal of the drug takes place unchanged by the kidneys.
Indications for use
What is Diacarb prescribed for? As mentioned above, the drug received the main therapeutic use in the treatment of intracranial pressure and edema. Also indications for the use of Diacarb include diseases and conditions:
- Glaucoma attack (primary and secondary, as well as in acute attack);
- In the presence of the so-called "mountain" disease in acute form;
- Edematous syndrome (mild and moderate severity, in combination with alkalosis);
- Epilepsy (as part of combination therapy).
In addition, Diacarb is used for intracranial hypertension in complex treatment.
Do not use Diacarb with the following disorders in the work of organs or pathologies:
- Addison disease;
- Liver failure;
- Cirrhosis of the liver, chronic alcoholism;
- Acute renal failure;
- Hypersensitivity to the active substance or components;
Caution should be given to patients with edema of hepatic and renal etiology.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
This tool can not be taken during pregnancy. If you need to take the drug during lactation, breastfeeding should be stopped.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that Diakarb according to the instructions prescribed adults in the following doses:
- When epilepsy is prescribed, 250-500 mg per day are given one time for 3 days, and on the fourth day they take a break;
- In acute attacks of glaucoma, the drug is prescribed at a dose of 250 mg 6 times a day at regular intervals;
- In open-angle glaucoma, 250 mg 1-4 times daily are prescribed. It should be borne in mind that increasing the dose of more than 1 g does not increase the therapeutic effect;
- In secondary glaucoma, the drug is prescribed in the same dose, only every 4 hours. Sometimes the therapeutic effect appears after short-term use of the drug at 250 mg 2 times a day;
- In case of mountain sickness, a higher dose is prescribed - 500-1000 mg per day; and in cases of rapid ascent, 1000 mg per day, dividing in equal doses into several doses. The drug should be used before climbing, for 24-48 hours. If symptoms of the disease manifest, it is necessary to continue treatment for the next two days or, if necessary, and more;
- With edematous syndrome - in the morning, 1 time per day in a dose of 250-375 mg. The best effect is achieved with the following scheme: reception every other day or two days in a row with a one-day break. When using Diacarba, treatment of circulatory failure, including cardiac glycosides and low-salt diets, should not be canceled.
If you accidentally skip reception Diakarba increase the dose at the next intake should not be.
Children with epilepsy according to the instructions Diakarb prescribed in the following doses:
- From 4 to 12 months - 50 mg per day, divided into two doses;
- From 2 to 3 years - 50-125 mg per day, also dividing the dose into two doses;
- From 4 to 18 years - 125-250 mg per day one-time, better in the morning.
If other anticonvulsant drugs are used simultaneously with Diacarb, then at the beginning of treatment only one pill is used, and if necessary, the dose can be gradually increased, but not to apply more than 750 mg per day.
In children with attacks of glaucoma, a daily dose is calculated - 10-15 mg per kg of body weight, and divided into 3-4 doses in equal parts.
Diakarb and asparkam: regimen
Often, children under one year old are prescribed Diakarb and Asparkam as part of a combination therapy for treating increased intracranial pressure and hydrocephalus. Asparks are added to Diakarbu in order to compensate for the potassium deficiency that is inevitably caused by the diuretic, since it intensively removes it from the body due to the peculiarities of the mechanism of its action.
The exact dosage is calculated individually by a neurologist, depending on age and condition. If to be the average dosage, then to babies Diakarb and Asparkam is prescribed according to the following schemes:
- Take 1/4 of Asparkam tablets and 1/4 of Diakarb tablets once a day every 3 days;
- Take 1/4 of Asparkam tablets and 1/4 of Diakarb tablets once a day in two or two regimens. That is, two days the child is given drugs, two days break, etc.
Children 1–3 years old give 1/2 tablet of Diakarb and 1/2 tablet to Asparkam once a day according to the scheme 2–1, that is, for two days the baby takes the drugs, then one day - a break, etc. .
On the part of the urinary system, diacarb can cause nephrolithiasis and frequent urination.
The drug can cause the following side effects from the digestive system:
- Fulminant necrosis of the liver;
- Nausea and vomiting;
- Taste disturbance;
- Decreased appetite.
The use of Diacarb can cause the following side effects from the central nervous system:
- Increased fatigue;
- Violation of touch;
- Tinnitus or hearing impairment;
- Against the background of liver failure - hepatic encephalopathy;
- Flaccid paralysis
In some cases, diacarb causes the following adverse reactions from the hematopoietic system:
- Aplastic anemia;
- Hemorrhagic diathesis;
- Failure of bone marrow hematopoiesis.
There are no registered cases of overdose with Diakarb, however, when a patient is taking a large dose inside the patient, there is an increase in the manifestation of the above side effects. In addition, severe depression of liver, kidney and nervous system function develops.
With the development of such manifestations, the patient undergoes hemodialysis and symptomatic treatment.
- With the appointment of the drug for more than 5 days in a row increases the risk of metabolic acidosis.
- With prolonged use of the drug should monitor the pattern of peripheral blood, indicators of water-electrolyte and acid-base balance.
- Diakarb, especially in high doses, can cause drowsiness, fatigue, dizziness and disorientation, so during treatment patients should not drive vehicles and work with mechanisms that require increased concentration and psychomotor speed.
- Increases the elimination of lithium.
- Acetazolamide increases the serum phenytoin content.
- Acetazolamide increases the manifestations of osteomalacia caused by taking antiepileptic drugs.
- The simultaneous use of acetazolamide and amphetamine, atropine or quinidine can enhance their side effects.
- Potentiation of the diuretic effect occurs when combined with methylxanthines (aminophylline).
- Acetazolamide enhances the effect of ephedrine.
- Acetazolamide may enhance the action of folic acid antagonists, hypoglycemic agents, and oral anticoagulants.
When combined with cardiac glycosides or drugs that increase blood pressure, you should adjust the dose of acetazolamide.
- Increases plasma concentration of carbamazepine, non-depolarizing muscle relaxants.
- A decrease in the diuretic effect occurs when combined with ammonium chloride and other acid-forming diuretics.
- Strengthening the hypotensive effect on intraocular pressure is possible with simultaneous use with cholinergic drugs and beta-blockers.
- The simultaneous use of acetazolamide and acetylsalicylic acid can cause metabolic acidosis and increase toxic effects on the central nervous system.
We picked up some reviews of people about the drug Diakarb:
- Kristina. Periodically disturbed eye pain, feeling as if crushing the eyes from the inside to the outside. I tried many medications, and I didn’t know what this pain was about. She underwent medical examination, MRI and so on, prescribed this drug with a number of others within a month. The course is designed for five years, every six months to drink the drug. The pain immediately passed after a month, besides relieves recurrent pain within 20-30 minutes. Pain after the course did not bother for a year. A year later, they made themselves felt a little, again they drank a month’s course and the anxiety was gone. In general, an excellent tool, the only thing that helped me.
- Julia. For more than 10 years I suffer from epilepsy. Once when visiting a neuropathologist, he prescribed “Diacarb” to me. After reading the instructions for use, to say that it was in shock, it does not say anything. After the first pill, the action starts in about 30 minutes, so you will not be able to leave the house. He also strongly dehydrates the body and removes potassium and is recommended to take it with asparkam, the doctor did not warn me about this. On the second day I had headaches, weakness and drowsiness, which was also not pleasant. Therefore, after 5 days, I decided to stop using it, because instead of improving, there are only side effects.
- Nelia. After surgery to remove a brain tumor, diacarb was prescribed. Saw on a tablet 3 times a week paired with asparkam. She drank before bedtime and in the morning began tingling in the fingers, a feeling of numb lips, drowsiness. I was very scared, but after reading the instructions and the side diakarb calmed down, I will take the drug further. Apparently all these symptoms are natural when taking diacarba. Thank.
Analogs of Diakarba are actually absent at the moment. In some pharmacies, you can only find a product called Acetazolamide. In fact, this is another name for the same medicine. Other analogues of the drug are not known.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
The shelf life of the drug is indicated on the package and is not more than 5 years, subject to the storage rules. The optimal temperature for storing medication is 25 degrees. Keep away from children.