Veroshpiron belongs to the potassium-sparing diuretics of synthetic origin.
It is used in medical practice to adjust the water and electrolyte balance in the human body. The main active potent drug component is spironolactone.
On this page you will find all the information about Veroshpiron: complete instructions for use for this drug, average prices in pharmacies, complete and incomplete analogues of the drug, as well as reviews of people who have already used Veroshpiron. Want to leave your opinion? Please write in the comments.
Pharmacy sales terms
It is released on prescription.
How much is Veroshpiron? The average price in pharmacies is 220 rubles.
Release form and composition
The drug is available in the form of capsules and tablets. The active elemental drug Veroshpiron, which helps with high pressure, is spironolactone. The active ingredient is contained in an amount of 25 mg for tablets, 50 or 100 mg for capsules.
Additional substances in the tablets are talc, silica, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, corn starch. Capsules consist of sodium lauryl sulfate, lactose monohydrate, magnesium stearate, corn starch. The cap and body of the capsule contains, in addition, gelatin, dyes and titanium dioxide.
The active substance spironolactone, according to the instructions, is a component that acts opposite to the adrenal hormone aldosterone. Operates in the kidney - nephron, eliminates fluid retention and sodium, suppresses the potassium-excreting effect. Spironolactone prevents the production of renal tubular enzymes. By binding to receptors, it increases the excretion of sodium and chlorine ions with water and urine, reduces the loss of potassium ions, and reduces the acidity of urine. According to doctors, has a hypotensive effect due to the diuretic properties of the hormone aldosterone.
After taking it is completely absorbed in the gastrointestinal tract, bioavailability is 100%, food intake increases it to the maximum. The highest concentration of spironolactone reaches 2-6 hours after the morning dose. The substance binds to plasma proteins by 98%, poorly penetrates organs and tissues, but the metabolites are able to overcome the placental barrier and get into breast milk.
Indications for use
According to the instructions, Veroshpiron is prescribed for:
- Conditions involving secondary hyper aldosteronism, including nephrotic syndrome, cirrhosis of the liver, and other conditions accompanied by edema;
- Edematous syndrome on the background of chronic heart failure (as the main drug or in combination with other drugs);
- Primary hyperaldosteronism (Crohn's syndrome) - a short time in the preoperative period;
- Essential hypertension (in combination with other drugs);
- Hypokalemia or hypomagnesemia (for the purpose of prophylaxis with diuretic therapy).
Veroshpiron is also prescribed in order to establish a diagnosis of primary hyperaldosteronism.
Contraindications to the use of Veroshpiron are:
- Severe renal failure;
- Lactose intolerance, deficiency of the enzyme lactase, glucose-galactose malabsorption;
- Period of pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- Children's age up to three years;
- Hypersensitivity to any of the components of the drug;
With caution, Veroshpiron is prescribed to patients with metabolic acidosis, hypercalcemia, diabetes mellitus, diabetic nephropathy, liver failure, cirrhosis of the liver, and elderly people, women with impaired menstrual cycle, with an increase in the mammary glands and with local or general anesthesia.
Use during pregnancy and lactation
Reception Veroshpirona contraindicated in women during pregnancy and lactation.
If necessary, the appointment of this drug to nursing mothers is recommended to stop breastfeeding, because spironolactone can penetrate into the milk and have a negative effect on the body of the child.
Instructions for use
The instructions for use indicate that the dosage Veroshpiron depends on the disease:
- When idiopathic hyperaldosteronism drug is prescribed in a dose of 100-400 mg / day.
- With essential hypertension, the daily dose for adults is usually 50-100 mg once and can be increased to 200 mg, while increasing the dose gradually, 1 time in 2 weeks. To achieve an adequate response to therapy, the drug must be taken at least 2 weeks. If necessary, carry out dose adjustment.
- With hypokalemia and / or hypomagnesaemia caused by diuretic therapy, Veroshpiron is prescribed in a dose of 25-100 mg / day, once or in several doses. The maximum daily dose is 400 mg, if oral potassium preparations or other methods to compensate for its deficiency are ineffective.
- With pronounced hyperaldosteronism and hypokalemia, the daily dose is 300 mg (maximum 400 mg) in 2-3 doses, while improving the condition, the dose is gradually reduced to 25 mg / day.
- In the diagnosis and treatment of primary hyperaldosteronism as a diagnostic tool with a short diagnostic test, Veroshpiron is prescribed for 4 days at 400 mg / day, distributing the daily dose into several doses per day. With an increase in the concentration of potassium in the blood while taking the drug and a decrease after its cancellation, it can be assumed that there is primary hyper aldosteronism. With a long diagnostic test, the drug is prescribed in the same dose for 3-4 weeks. When correction of hypokalemia and arterial hypertension is achieved, one can assume the presence of primary hyper aldosteronism.
- After the diagnosis of hyper aldosteronism is established using more accurate diagnostic methods, Veroshpiron should be taken in a daily dose of 100-400 mg as a short course of preoperative therapy of primary hyper aldosteronism, dividing it into 1-4 doses throughout the entire period of preparation for surgery. If the operation is not indicated, Veroshpiron is used for long-term maintenance therapy, using the smallest effective dose, which is selected individually for each patient.
- In edema syndrome on the background of chronic heart failure, the drug is prescribed daily for 5 days at 100-200 mg / day in 2-3 doses, in combination with a “loop” or thiazide diuretic. Depending on the effect, the daily dose is reduced to 25 mg. Maintenance dose is adjusted individually. The maximum daily dose is 200 mg.
- For edema associated with cirrhosis, the daily dose of Veroshpiron for adults is usually 100 mg, if the ratio of sodium and potassium ions (Na + / K +) in urine exceeds 1.0. If the ratio is less than 1.0, then the daily dose is usually 200-400 mg. Maintenance dose is selected individually.
- In the treatment of edema on the background of nephrotic syndrome, the daily dose for adults is usually 100-200 mg. No effect of spironolactone on the main pathological process has been identified, and therefore the use of this drug is recommended only in cases where other types of therapy are ineffective.
With edema in children, the initial dose is 1-3.3 mg / kg of body weight or 30-90 mg / m2 / day in 1-4 doses. After 5 days, dose adjustment is carried out and, if necessary, it is increased 3 times compared to the original.
Veroshpiron can provoke the appearance of such side effects from various body systems, such as:
- Hematopoiesis: thrombocytopenia, agranulocytosis, megaloblastosis.
- CNS: ataxia, headaches, drowsiness and lethargy, impaired concentration, in severe cases, lethargy.
- GIT: aggravation of gastritis, constipation or diarrhea, internal intestinal bleeding, intestinal colic.
- Metabolism: increased concentration of urea, hyperchloremic acidosis, alkalosis, hyperuricemia.
- Urinary system: acute renal failure.
- Muscular system: convulsions and spasm of the gastrocnemius muscles.
- The endocrine system: the coarsening of the voice in women, an increase in the mammary glands in men, a decrease or loss of potency, a decrease in erectile function. Also, women may experience bleeding in the period of established menopause, or the absence of menstruation at reproductive age, breast pain of unknown etiology, and hirsutism (male-type hair growth).
Based on the above list, Veroshpiron has a number of side effects.
Overdose is expressed in the following symptoms:
- confusion of thoughts;
- sleepy state;
- nausea and gagging;
- skin rashes;
- During treatment with spironolactone, alcohol is prohibited.
- Quick weight loss should be avoided.
- Hyperkalemia in Patients With Severe Heart Failure
- Spironolactone may increase the risk of hyperkalemia in patients with diabetic nephropathy.
- Care should be taken when prescribing patients prone to acidosis or hyperkalemia due to the underlying disease (for example, diabetes).
- Care must also be taken in patients with moderate renal insufficiency (serum creatinine between 1.2 mg / 100 ml and 1.8 mg / 100 ml or creatinine clearance between 60 ml / min and 30 ml / min), hypotension or hypovolemia.
- The composition of the dosage form includes lactose. The drug should not be administered to patients with rare congenital forms of lactose intolerance: Lapp's lactase deficiency, glucose-galactose malabsorption.
- Treatment should be discontinued or suspended if the level of potassium in the blood exceeds 4 mg / dL.
- Spironolactone therapy may interfere with the process of determining serum and digoxin, plasma cortisol and epinephrine.
- Concomitant use of potassium supplements, a diet rich in potassium, taking other potassium-sparing diuretics, using potassium-containing salt substitutes, taking ACE inhibitors, angiotensin II antagonists, antagonists of aldosterone receptors, heparin or low molecular heparin, trimetho-optama, and other subjects for other subjects. especially in patients with renal failure.
- Hyperkalemia can be life threatening. In patients with severe heart failure, serum potassium levels should be carefully monitored. If the level of potassium in the blood exceeds 3.5 mmol / l, potassium-saving diuretics should be avoided. It is recommended to control the level of potassium and creatinine in the blood one week after the start of treatment, and then every six months.
- Spironolactone therapy can cause a transient increase in serum urea nitrogen, especially in patients with already existing kidney dysfunction and hyperkalemia. Spironolactone can cause the development of reversible hyperchloremic metabolic acidosis. Thus, in patients with impaired renal function and liver, as well as in elderly patients, biochemical indicators of renal function, as well as electrolyte balance, should be regularly examined.
- GCS and diuretics mutually reinforce and accelerate diuretic and natriuretic effects.
- The drug enhances the metabolism of phenazole, triptorelin, buserelin, gonadorelin, reduces the sensitivity of vessels to norepinephrine.
- Veroshpiron reduces the effectiveness of anticoagulants, indirect anticoagulants and the toxicity of cardiac glycosides.
- When taking Veroshpiron with potassium preparations, potassium supplements and potassium-sparing diuretics, ACE inhibitors (acidosis), angiotensin II antagonists, aldosterone blockers, indomethacin, cyclosporine, the risk of hyperkalemia increases.
- Veroshpiron enhances the toxic effect of lithium due to a decrease in its clearance, accelerates metabolism and elimination of carbenoxolone, the latter in turn contributes to sodium retention.
We picked up some reviews of people about the drug Veroshpiron:
- Dmitriy. Personally, I have a bunch of adverse reactions to Verohspiron. A doctor prescribed it to me, he drank as they said, and when he took the first pill, my nightmare began. I do not say that the medicine is not effective, but because of him I had a lot of unpleasant sensations: nausea, dizzy, before the eyes of the “front sight” and even vomiting. I asked the attending physician to change the medication for me, since the second dose of veroshpiron was just as “enchanting”. Apparently I have some kind of individual intolerance to its components. In turn, my mother, he has been helping to deal with leg edema for quite a few years and is quite effective.
- Helena. I got acquainted with the action of the veroshpiron after long trying to get rid of the abundant facial hair. Only I did not try, nothing helped. At first, I was skeptical that the cosmetologist advised us to undergo a treatment with a veroshpiron, and wrote a prescription. Somehow I could not believe that a diuretic medicine can relieve me of my problem. What was my surprise when, after the 5th day of the reception, but I saw a significant difference on my face. The vegetation just began to fade before our eyes. Thanks to the competent doctor. I advise everyone.
- Catherine. Veroshpiron was assigned to me by my gynecologist two years after delivery, as there were significant weight problems and swelling. The cut was spent a month and indeed the puffiness was asleep and even lost a little in weight and the volume was slightly gone.
- Michael. At the last visit to the doctor, I was diagnosed with essential hypertension. Against her background, limbs began to swell, which was unpleasant. To cope with two problems at once, the doctor prescribed Veroshpiron capsules. I drank them in the morning, and in the evening the swelling was not so pronounced. Two weeks later I was given a higher dose because the effect of the application was weak.
Reviews of side effects Veroshpirona not often. Some of the patients noted the appearance of headaches, weakness, diarrhea, nausea while taking the drug. There are single reviews of the appearance of muscle cramps. All reviewers note that side effects quickly disappeared after drug withdrawal.
In Verohspiron there are several structural analogues that contain the same list of components and have a similar effect on the body.
Before using analogues consult your doctor.
Storage conditions and shelf life
The shelf life of tablets and capsules Veroshpiron is 5 years. The drug should be stored in a dry, dark place inaccessible to children at an air temperature not higher than + 30 ° C.