The problem of their own appearance worries not only the beautiful half of humanity, but also the stronger sex. Men often pay as much attention to caring for their hair as women. Therefore, in our time, hair loss in men is quite an actual problem, with which a huge number of people are struggling.
At least thirty percent of all men are completely or partially bald. It is very important to find out the cause of hair loss in men and start treatment at the earliest stage of the disease. This will avoid baldness, that is, complete loss of hair.
Hair loss depending on age
What are the causes of hair loss in men of different age groups? To answer this question, the trichologist must take into account a number of factors that could precede the development of this symptom. These factors are directly dependent on heredity, age, lifestyle and the presence of concomitant diseases in the body of a man.
- Hair loss in men at a young age: from 20 to 30 years. Here, hereditary factors, metabolic disorders or hormonal levels should be considered as possible causes.
- Hair loss in men from 30 to 45 years. This category refers to the period of reproductive age. Here, in addition to heredity, a key role is capable of playing a man’s lifestyle - stress and overworking of the body, leading to metabolic disorders.
- Hair loss in men older than 45 years. This is the so-called “male menopause” period, at this age hormone production decreases, including testosterone and decompensation of dihydrotestosterone production by prostate tissues. Against the background of these provocative factors, after 45 years, as a rule, the so-called “age baldness” develops, the first gray hairs may begin to appear.
Treatment of hair loss in men should be carried out exclusively after collecting anamnesis, qualitative diagnosis of the symptom, as well as studying the results of the tests.
Causes of hair loss in men
There is no unequivocal answer to the question why hair falls out. But in any case, baldness is not the norm, but a disease that needs to be treated. In addition, thinning hair for some becomes a real test for self-esteem, especially at a young age.
So, what are the causes of hair loss in men? Consider the main factors contributing to this:
- Alopecia is a medical term for hair loss. There are two types of baldness - focal and androgenic. Alopecia can include hair loss all over the body or only on the head. It is a thinning hair, bald spots, partial or complete baldness. Alopecia can be permanent and temporary, and there are many reasons for it, including genetics. On the treatment of baldness need to consult a doctor.
- Stress. Often, hair loss in men begins a few weeks after the tragedy, nervous experiences or loss of life;
- Often the causes of baldness in men are associated with bad habits, unhealthy diets, poor ecology. Lack of vitamins and microelements leads to deterioration of the nutrition of the hair follicles, they weaken and die prematurely.
- Smoking. When smoking, the blood supply to the hair follicles fails, which is why they gradually break down and the hair stops growing normally.
- Side effects of drugs. Hair loss can be a side effect of medication used to treat cancer, arthritis, depression, heart problems, hypertension. These drugs include lithium, beta-blockers, warfarin, heparin, amphetamine and levodopa (Atamet, Larodopa, Sinemet). In addition, many drugs used in cancer chemotherapy - for example, doxorubicin (adriamycin) - usually cause sudden hair loss over the entire surface of the head.
- Postponed diseases and infections. Hair loss in men can begin after the illness due to a decrease in immunity and protective functions of the body.
In order for the treatment of alopecia in a man to give positive results, you need to contact the trichologist and conduct an examination. During it will be a study of past diseases, diet and life habits. You will also need to do a biochemical blood test, be examined for the presence of fungal infections and other diseases that are accompanied by hair loss.
Alopecia in men
There are the following types of alopecia:
- Androgenic. Mostly men become bald due to androgenic (premature) alopecia, which occurs with a high sensitivity to the male hormone of the hair bulb.
- Diffuse With this type of baldness there is a strong uniform hair loss over the entire scalp. The prevalence of diffuse alopecia ranks second after androgenetic alopecia.
- Focal. Some diseases lead to the appearance of rounded foci of absolute hair loss. These areas, initially small, gradually grow and become quite impressive in size - up to 10 cm in diameter. The color of the scalp in these areas remains unchanged, does not peel off.
Accordingly, the symptoms and methods of treating alopecia in men will differ depending on the type.Diffuse hair loss
The formation of baldness in male pattern baldness occurs gradually. 6 stages of male pattern baldness have been identified:
- It is characterized by the appearance of lateral bald patches on the hairline, with a thinning structure at the edge of the bald patches.
- The temples cross the mid-scalp border, and their expansion towards the center is observed. Also at this stage, the appearance of baldness on the crown.
- All front bald areas merge with each other, forming a kind of island.
- There is a transition for the back line of the front bald patches. Between the bald patch at the top and the front remains only a narrow bridge.
- The bridge disappears, and the highs falls down along the edges.
- The side bald areas descend to the very bottom and baldness stops.
Of course, to be bald by 30 years do not want any man. Therefore, as soon as you notice excessive hair loss, you need to start treatment.
In order to stop hair loss in men, first of all, you should establish what caused their loss. For this, it is necessary to seek advice from the trichologist, who will prescribe the following tests:
- Examination of blood for the level of sex hormones, thyroid hormones and some others, if necessary.
- General analysis of blood and urine, blood test for sugar.
- Sometimes an immunogram is required.
- Additional consultations of experts (dermatologist, therapeutist, neurologist, etc.).
If serious diseases are excluded, you can begin treating hair loss.
How to treat hair loss in men
After the man has the first symptoms of hair loss, or he suspected some abnormalities, it is necessary to diagnose and begin treatment as soon as possible. Therapy should be aimed at curing hair follicles, their normalization and restoration of all functions, it is necessary so that the hair does not fall out in the future.
All drugs used in this pathology can be divided into the following groups:
- Drugs that cause contact dermatitis (squaric acid dibutyl ester, etc.).
- Non-specific irritants (dithranol, croton oil).
- Nonspecific and specific immunosuppressants.
- External preparations that have a direct effect on the hair follicles.
The pharmacological action of all these drugs, in one way or another, is directed against hair loss and restoration of their growth, i.e. restoration of the normal structure of the hair follicles. If you do not consult a specialist in time, transplantation of a hair bulb is possible in the future, but such cases are very rare.
Men are required to strengthen healthy, vitamin-rich food to strengthen hair. In particular, you need to pay attention to the group of vitamin B, as well as A and C.
- Vitamin A is found in large quantities in fruits and vegetables of yellow, red and orange color, as well as in eggs, liver, milk and fish oil.
- Vitamin B - is found in fish, chicken meat, cereals, legumes and by-products (kidneys, liver).
- Vitamin C is found in large quantities in lemons, black currants, wild rose, sea buckthorn and red pepper, as well as in other vegetables and fruits.
As a preventive measure, you can drink a course of vitamin, if you can not follow a vitamin diet.
Hair loss shampoo for men
What shampoos do men use to combat hair loss? Consider the most popular.
- Alerana. Due to the complex of natural components, they strengthen and nourish the hair, stimulate their growth and prevent hair loss.
- Vichi Derkos. Medical professional shampoo with amineksil against hair loss.
- Fito. The shampoo is recommended for regular care for weakened and prone to hair loss. For preventive purposes, it should be used as a regular shampoo.
- Selentsin. Stops excessive hair loss, increases the life cycle of the hair, activates hair follicles. Due to this a larger amount of hair appears during the active growth phase.
- Strength Hair. Shampoo "Strength of Hair" is designed to combat androgenic hair loss and prevent premature baldness.
The main thing to clearly determine the cause of hair loss. For example, if the hair falls out due to lack of vitamins, you should not expect significant results from the shampoo when you do not take vitamins.